Friday, 4 November 2011

evaluation

Evaluation -

In my final product for my college magazine front cover I decided on my representation being fixated on college students (16-20). I feel I have supported this by using a student as my main picture on the cover of an age which supports the age group I intended to represent.
On my cover I have decided to go against the stereotype of girls being the fashion icons and the gender which dominate talent in textiles by using my model on the cover and naming him the icon and perhaps controversially pinpointing the fact he has received his textiles A2.
I’ve done this in a bid to make my magazine appear slightly less generic than most.
My media product is controversial in some respects as usually the ‘good looking’ highly successful male would be more placed in the ‘jock’ stereotype but instead shown as a male interested in textiles and fashion.

As previously stated I made sure my target audience was reached out to by the usage of a college student for the cover. You could say as a social group my most reached out to group would be the more ‘run of the mill’ character, but still aspects of more individual groups are recognized due to the point of my main story pinpointed on my cover portrays.
The socio economic groups my front cover represents are C-2 – E, mainly because my readers will all be students mostly unemployed if they are employed it will be extremely likely they’ll be working on a low paid manual labour job. With my front cover also I decided in terms of VALS (value life styles) that I would base it on number 4 both inner and outer integrated I chose this as it backs up my previous statements.

For the ideology of my cover I believe my morals and values would be that people can indeed break the stereotypes that are placed on them by society and achieve the previously thought unachievable. I chose to do this as I feel not because its original to do what I did but because so many real life magazines attempt to do this but fail in doing it effectively and I would like to see if I can break the mould as such.

If my magazine were to bought and distributed by a major or minor company I think that due to it being a select audience of people that attend wyke college that only the college itself would acquire the rights to do so but I believe that could make to success of the magazine itself could suffer if due to it probably being sold at a cost.

And finally I will discuss which types of media language I used for my college magazine front cover.
Many bits of media language were used such as banner headline, most importantly codes and conventions which were discussed previously. An exclusive also featured in my magazine obviously as the pupil the headline is based on can only attend one college. My front cover also boasts a house style colour system which contains the official Wyke colours which are green and purple, the colours don’t clash and fit nicely together which I think is shown on my cover. An ident is also present, this is the asterisk located at the bottom of the cover (the official logo of wyke).
For my layout I decided to stick to a more basic of layouts headline on top a main dominant image etc, I did this as I didn’t want to over complicate the cover and cram too much into it. Obviously my cover also contains a masthead which is fairly bold and noticeable (wyke news).
In conclusion I believe my front cover was effective in portraying the key aspects, ideas and codes I set out to show.
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment